I guess I should blog about what I’m actually doing, which for the past six months has been a laser focused on actually buying the house, now that we are one month in situ at Crooked Cottage (so dubbed for now), we are making it our own and unpacking, with light renovations.
Lucky we are the house just needed paint and a few tightened pipes! There are enough extra rooms that we can effectively live in two (bedroom & kitchen) while 3 are full of boxes, and one undergoing renovation (rumpus room)!
In the meantime we’ve been frugally planning our updates, shopping for bargains and salvage, and putting in some good elbow grease. Yes, even me! Proper photos are yet to come, but I’ve been posting iPhone pix to flickr of our finds and treasures. Lots of Martha Stewart DIY products, she’s so good at the vintage!!!
1930’s Gothic Cottage™ $400 kitchen make-over! Schoolhouse Lighting, Celedon Paint (cabinets only), Iron Cabinet Hardware & Oiled Bronze Wall Mount Faucet. The stove came with the house, woo!
- Martha Stewart: Paint Timothy Hay: Her paints are gorgeous, it is very easy to go all vintagey with her palettes.
- Martha Stewart: Iron Bin Pull & Knobs: these are brilliant and look very Art Deco in our 1926 kitchen!
- Schoolhouse light fixtures: the glass shades can be replaced later, this way I get the fixture mount for a bargain while I look for vintage schoolhouse globes!
- Bronze wall-mount faucet: wall mount faucets are harder to find, but Amazon & Overstock.com make it so easy!
- House of Antique Hardware: Gothic Style Surface Cabinet Hinges: These are gorgeous and really put the fancy on the old cupboards.
Other cool things we’ve picked up and have yet to install!
Doors from Urban Ore… $250 for these two amazing doors, the cross buck w/ purple glass will be the door to the garden from the Rumpus Room & the privacy glass (from an old bank) will go to the small powder room off the kitchen.
I’ll post more about Chez Blastmilk! And the treasures therein… and dollies to come!