I finally got my extended Thanksgiving Holiday dollfie day. Got up this morning, pulled out the supplies and started painting in my pajamas.
I had finally found a 18/0 gauge brush at Amsterdam and hadn’t had the opportunity to use it.
Lavinia is a doll I conceived of doing soon after I got my first Volks body and realized how easily the hands are removed.
For those not familiar, Lavinia is one of Shakespeare’s most abused characters from his most infamous & violent play “Titus Andronicus.”
“By S. Clarke Hulse’s count, Titus Andronicus is a play with ’14 killings, 9 of them on stage, 6 severed members, 1 rape (or 2 or 3, depending on how you count), 1 live burial, 1 case of insanity and 1 of cannibalism–an average of 5.2 atrocities per act, or one for every 97 lines.'”
In Shakespeare’s own scene notes it reads “Enter DEMETRIUS and CHIRON with LAVINIA, ravished; her hands cut off, and her tongue cut out”
And that brings us to… Lavinia
Next we have a repaint, re-style. This was one of my earlier dolls. But not early enough to excuse the original horrible paint job. And especially since it was supposed to be me, in a highly idealized, fantasy sort of way. Well, the original boil crimp had long fallen out, and since been squashed in my recent move. She was a perfect candidate for an overhaul! She has and NDR Ellie-ish head. And she got the same do as above, but it was combed out just a bit and re-gel’d and sprayed.Kallisti is wearing a Bratz Boys outfit. I liked the roughed up vintage leather and the orange retro shirt. This is what redheds are supposed to wear, I never manage too.
Like the accordian.
The painting on both of these is much finer, if still a little clumsy. But LO! The difference between these and any of my other customizations. I, too, can make a fine line.
Lavinia definately needed some texture to her hair, and since I planned on restyling the doll below as well, I used a similar technique of twisting the hair, then wrapping it around a pipe cleaner. This gives what in essence is the opposite of a sausage curl. For Lavinia I sprayed them heavily and endeavored to keep the spirals all intact. She needed to have angry snakes for hair.
Oh, and I made the dress too. A simple sack made out of cheese-cloth, then wetted, starched and ironed. It is a terrible piece of workmanship, but that is what I wanted, so lucky me!